Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Must. Get. Sleep...


I'm sitting here wondering just how much bungee cord it would take to keep Riley in her bed at night. I happened to blurt this out loud to my husband. His response? "Duct tape would work better." When I expressed my concern over it being too sticky he suggested electrical tape. Damn I love him! lol. Now before you get too concerned, rest assured we would never actually do any of these things. If so, they would have been tested on one of her many older siblings! But seriously, somethings gotta give! This Mama is getting practically no sleep. Riley is two years old and as precious and loved as she is, I'm definitely at the end of my rope. She will not stay in her bed at night. She goes to sleep, on a good night, after about an hour. Usually she sleeps in her four year old sister's bed. Holly doesn't mind Riley sleeping with her. And at first it helped. Riley would sleep through the night. It didn't last long though. I can spend hours taking her back to her bed. As soon as I doze off, she's back, crawling in my bed. Eventually I'm so tired that I just scoot over for her. That doesn't really work either. We sleep on a full size futon. Once you put Josh, me and Riley in it, it's overly crowded. I end up squished and roasting in between them. And it's not just enough to lay next to me. Oh no, she wants to be as close to me as humanly possible! And she tosses and turns and fusses ALL NIGHT LONG. Come morning I'm too damn tired to think. Now you'd think I could use her nap time to rest a bit, but nope, Miss Riley has different plans. No matter how tired she is, she's been refusing to sleep at nap time lately. By the time poor Josh gets home at night, I'm tired and extremely grumpy. Now add to that the fact that Riley is sick at least once a month for a week or more. Between her asthma and allergies this week consists of cough medicine, her twice daily preventative inhaler, her rescue inhaler when the coughing gets too bad, breathing treatments and lots of Vick's. So her sleeping on top of me next to me, also involves being coughed on constantly. By the time bed time comes around each night I just want to run away. I hate feeling this way. I'm glad that Riley seems to love me more than anybody else on the planet, but occasionally I wish she'd torment her Dad for a few minutes and give Mommy a break.


2 comments:

  1. When my daughter was little and didn't sleep through the night her father and I took turns getting up with her. I'd be on for 2 nights and then he'd be on for 2 nights. When I first suggested it he balked at it because he had to work every day and I stayed home but I told him that staying home with the kid was a job and it wasn't like I ever got to nap during the day. We were both up all day so it was only fair. Maybe you could try a similar arrangement a few days a week so that you get some sleep too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true that being a stay at home mom is a full time job. I'm lucky that my hubby realizes it too. If I even consider napping when my little one does, she usually has other ideas. lol. The only problem with him getting up with Riley at night, is I'm the only one she wants. She loves Daddy but she's a total Mommy's girl. Mostly she is just wanting to sleep with me but our bed is just too small for it to be comfortable.

      Delete